This was also the first meeting between Government and SGU since the signing of a new Agreement last December. Among the many matters discussed were:
- The commencement of a Clinical Teaching Programme, carded for September 2011 at the General Hospital in St. George’s; and
- A degree programme for teachers.
The Clinical Teaching Programme will not only provide training for SGU students, but will provide additional equipment and Specialists at the General Hospital, thereby improving the delivery of Health Care in Grenada.
In respect of the degree programme for teachers, this is consistent with Government’s thrust to lift the quality of education, through an increased number of Graduate Teachers.
The SGU delegation was headed by Dr. Charles Modica, Chancellor of the University.
The members of the newly reconstituted Monitoring Committee are:
- Hon. V. Nazim Burke, Minister for Finance – Chairman
- Hon. Franka Bernadine, Minister for Education – Deputy Chairperson
- Mr. Rohan Phillip, Attorney General
- Mr. Timothy Antoine, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance
- Mr. Aaron Moses, Office of the Prime Minister
- Mr. Terron Gilchrist, Policy Advisor to the Minister of Health
- Mr. Christopher De Riggs, Director, Private Sector Development, Ministry of Finance
The Committee and the University have agreed to meet on a monthly basis to monitor the implementation of activities with respect to the new Agreement.