The workshop is designed to provide practical tools, information and training to assist in:
• The development of a National Conservation Trust Fund; and
• The Selection and Implementation of new conservation finance mechanisms for the sustainable financing of protected areas.
This workshop is the first of many national activities to be funded under the regional project, “OECS Sustainable Financing and Management of Eastern Caribbean Marine Ecosystem Project.” This project funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), The German Development Bank (KFW) and The Nature Conservancy (TNC); will finance the following components:
1. Establishment of sustainable financing mechanisms;
2. Strengthening and phased expansion of Marine Protected Area Networks; and
3. Deployment of a regional monitoring and information system.
All members of the media are invited to provide coverage of this workshop.